Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Entertainment #2

grantorino

Instant Moral of the Story - "Inaccurate teasers, trailers, and advertising can make you miss out on a good film."

I've probably not seen many movies that I would otherwise enjoy because of what the marketing team decided to show the masses. I'm very glad that Gran Torino crawled across enemy lines, and convinced my mind to say "yes" for a viewing. I probably would've snubbed what I thought was an "all-action, no plot" film.

But like it's main character, Gran Torino is a beautiful story of family and sacrifice beneath a tough, gruff exterior.

Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) is a Korean veteran in the midst of dealing with the loss of his wife, his estranged relationship with materialistic family members, and a Korean family for neighbors. He tries to distance himself from the world, going about his life with just himself and his loyal dog. He's your perfect image of a mean old man on the porch with a shotgun. But in a moment of what I blame to be deep set morals, he helps the neighbor's daughter and changes both his and their lives for the better.

What I was most impressed with overall was the plot. Again, marketing did nothing to help. In times such as these, the country really needs to see a good, solid story of human emotion overcoming the worst. All key characters in this film are having troubles in some form, and the way they ultimately come together despite prejudices and conflict is inspiring.

Everyone knows how I feel about realism, but it helped the story instead of hurting it this time around. Nothing about this story felt remotely like fiction, which made the senses of hope and overcoming obstacles all the more believable. Letting things stand in your way is easy - the death of a loved one, trying to fit in, finding who you are and peer pressure. The difficult part is beating the odds stacked against you. While some of the solutions portrayed in the film come across as harsh at times, it still shows that nothing is impossible, and things always happen for a reason.

Characterization is a strong point in this film, particularly for Eastwood's character. Walt reminds me of a crude, asshole version of my grandfather (who was the most kind, genuine person I knew). He has his way of thinking and views of a world against him. Yet, he manages to touch the lives of people willing to get passed the harsh facade. He doesn't take shit from anyone, will tell you like it is, and still manages to point you in the right direction.

Which leads me to Thao, the neighbor's son. After Walt catches the boy trying to steal his most prized possession - a 1972 Gran Torino - for a gang initiation, Thao's family makes him work for Walt, as is a traditional Hmong penance. Walt works Thao like a dog, and in the end, shows him how to grow up and become a good man. I won't give away the ending, but putting it vaguely, Thao truly earns Walt's respect and becomes a man he never thought he could be.

There's only so much that I can put into words, as each moment of the film culminates into quite an impressive finale. But if you were like me, put off by the gritty action, I recommend that you put that aside and check out Gran Torino. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. You have done and excellent job in reveiwing this movie... You are a writer !!!!

    ReplyDelete